Sunday, May 23, 2010

Egg & Boquerones Canapes, Spicy Avocado And Bean Crostini, Lemon, Roacket And Parmesan Risotto

I always find it hard to start a new entry. I never really know how to. It's easy to kick off with the usual 'another week' or 'my o my how time flies' or 'I can't believe it is another week'. Don't get me wrong, these are totally fine but if you scroll through the entries, I probably re-phrase 'here we go again' over and over. I wish I could do a better start, that's just me. Something less predictable, but not different for the sake of it. Not trying too hard. Just being able to let it flow. But I can never find a way to start the entry. I just can't find a simple, nice way to do it. Which is a shame as simplicity and nice - well, totally blooming gorgeous - are the theme this week. Tuck in!



Dice a shallot, celery and finely slice a clove of garlic and cook until soft, but don't colour, unless you have crayons close at hand. Add the risotto rice - allow about 80g per person but for our tapas I used 80g for us both. Give it a good mix like Dj whatshisface and add some white wine. Ideally you opened the bottle earlier, alone and are giggling now as you have drunk...drank? the bottle and forgot to reserve some for risotto. Nail polish remover does not a substitute make. Just remember that. If you have managed to keep some of that grape nectar, add it nnnnnow! Stir and allow to reduce. Miss Salty Squid has a habit of drilling small holes at the base of our pans and inserting a long, narrow straw like..straw and siphoning off the vino. She thinks I don't notice but I do. Oh I do. Next up add a ladle full of hot stock. I refuse to make any joke about stocks. Keep adding your stock, ladle at a time, stirring constantly and only adding the next when the last has almost been absorbed. This should take almost 20mins using up a litre and a half of stock. If you run out of stock you can use hot water. Just make sure it is hot as cold stock just stops the cooking process and gives a below par risotto. After 15ish mins taste the rice and continue to do so until you no longer feel the need to spit it out onto the floor, but don't overcook it... it's not baby food. Once you are happy with the rice add a couple of hand fulls of chopped rocket, zest of a lemon and a good squeeze of lemon juice. Stir and continue to cook for another minute and season to taste. Empty a dump truck full of butter and as much Parmesan as life throws at you and stir like it matters. Remove from the heat, put the lid on the pan and allow to rest for 2 mins. Serve with some lemon oil and thyme sprigs and some shaved Parmesan to make it look posh. If you are cooking for someone you really like, put some fudgy goats cheese onto a warmed plate and sprinkle with some fresh thyme. The when you add the risotto on top, it will melt the goats cheese into a gooey goodness. A nice surprise. Unlike the nail polish remover.




Just because these next 2 tapas are kinda easy, don't let that fool you into thinking they are any less divine. Simplicity rocks. And on a hot evening, these are perfect.You can use Anchovies here if you have no idea what Boquerones are. I hadn't a clue but pretended to be all knowledgeable when buying, you know, like 'oh wow, i LOVE Boquerones!' Running home to consult my Larousse bible. It wasn't in there.

Make your own mayo, using egg yolks mixed with mustard, vinegar and salt. Slowly add rapeseed oil, whisking all the time until you are tired and regret not just buying some in the shop earlier because it's too hot in hear to be making mayo!!! Give it a squeeze of lemon juice and adjust the seasoning when done. Next up, finely chop some boiled eggies, shallot and Anchovies or Boquerones, parsley and some lemon juice. Mix, taste, season and serve on some fresh crusty bread, toasted if you are that way inclined.




Use only ripe avocados for this. You can tell the ripeness by gently squeezing them. When they are soft, they are ripe. Bring this ripe avocado to your green grocer and hold it in front of his or her face and squeeze it as hard as you can until your fingers go through the skin and the flesh covers your hands. It's best to do this while roaring like a loin or perhaps another monster that does not exist. It really depends on how you feel. This is, sadly, the only way to 'peel' an avocado.

To the avocado we add some roast garlic, coriander, mint, chili and mashed cannellini beans. Mix well and add some olive oil and lime juice. Season to taste and serve with some excellent bread. Simple tapas that is simply amazing.



Shopping List:
Herbs € 2.00
Eggs and veg €8.50

Risotto Rice €3.80
.........................................................

Total €14.30


Drinks:
Cremant De Loire, Brut, 12,5%
Koine, Puglia Aglianico, 13,5%

On the stereo:

Blind Melon, The National (again, new album is amazing), Sun Kill Moon

3 comments:

  1. Dear Mr SS,

    Some questions:
    Q1 - Did someone buy you 'word of the day' toilet paper? Boquerones? Siphoning? Grape Nectar? What is happening to you?

    Q2 - are you and Miss SS quaking in your flip flops at the thought of being shown up this Friday?

    Q3 - Is a copy of the new The National album an appropriate gift to being to someone's apartment if coming for drinks? (I'll take the liberty of answering that one - Yes)

    Q4 - Life has thrown a lot at me over the years but no parmesan as yet. Is it ok to use some I bought myself?

    Finally, food looks fab as always - really love the look of the avocado and beans canapes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mouth is watering at the avocado and bean canapes. Especially the seasoning. And I'm a big fan of the old ripe avocada - some places serve you them so young you'd break your teeth on them. The traditional japanese way of serving avocada is sliced in a mixture of soy sauce and wasabi. It's said to taste exactly like tuna sashimi. Maybe you could do a wasabi tapas special. We even have wasabi kitkats over here, don't you know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hola Sqiddlies!!! What in the name of Dorothy's tablets was that introduction all about? Couldn't ye just have said 'hello'?

    Well all is well Diddly's. I was talking to Tommy Two Tick Tacks and he read your previous blog with your man attacking a rasher in the florist or something. He loved it. Bought some fuel injector cleaner for his car afterwards.

    Now I have to say I found this week's Risotto recipe a little off the wall - what's this with the prostitute not making nail remover? So I didn't have a prostitute close at hand so I dressed the kettle up as a hooker...but sure didn't it start whistling at me (heh heh you can use that one if you like). But seriously, as soon as the whistling stopped, a tiny little rubber man about the size of a stamp came out of nowhere and got the kettle in a headlock. Me recipe was on its way to ruin.

    So I had to add all the ingredients quickly - the shallot went in. Done. Celery. Done. Glove of catlick. Done. I couldn't find any 'below par risotto' so I got an elbow car mosquito and drenched a florick magool in a spen bob and waved slan leat to 20 beans o'ickbar.

    But by this stage the kettle was destroyed. I'll have to buy a new one (heh heh you can use that one if you like). The little rubber man then appeared to start doing that Russian dance, the one where you scrunch down with your arms folded. Jesus it was fierce altogether. I tried to stop him by tapping him on his little playdough head but he just started dancing faster. So I started poking him with a lollipop stick but he started dancing even faster. The speed of him. It was like Benny Hill Morph. Jaysus lads - this wasn't in the recipe! What a mess. There's me looking forward to Risotto and I have a destroyed kettle wearing lipstick and a dress and little rubber man who danced for 9 hours. What the hell is going on? I'm getting a little frustrated with these tapas recipes in fairness.

    Well I have sneak out quietly now. The little rubber lad is fast asleep. I'm afraid of waking him up and he'll start break-dancing or something.

    Unitl next time - take care

    Uncle Octo

    ReplyDelete